Monday, November 23, 2015

I Need(ed) a Hug

Yep, that's me.
I'm a touchy, feely person. If you know me outside this blog, in real life, then you already know that. I'm in touch with my feelings. I also value human touch. I'm a hugger.

I guess one of the perks of teaching for me, beyond the sharing knowledge, the light bulb moments when a kid "gets it", yadda, yadda, yadda, is that I get lots of hugs. I mean TONS of hugs. All the time.

Sometimes the need is this real.
So real that I cry.
And all those little hugs are great. I love those hugs. But sometimes I need a grownup hug. Someone adult to hold me and just be there. No talking necessary, just their physical presence. That hasn't happened for a while for me.

I have a friend, a dance friend, who I cuddle with. It's a dance move. It's fun. And I tease him that I like cuddling with him. I like dancing with him and it's a fun move.

But having been sick for so long, then healthy for a little while, then getting sick again. I haven't been able to get out and be around my friends. And being sick, having no energy, just feeling sorry for myself, I was craving some human contact and really wanting a hug.

So he came. He hugged me. It was so good that I cried. I felt tears come to my eyes because having that human contact, comfort, was missing for so long that it felt like a release as I relaxed into his embrace.

Thank you, my friend. Thank you for being there. We humans were made to be in contact with others. Some of us (extroverts) more than others (introverts), but we all need each other and physical contact sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment